FAQS: USMCA Professional (TN Visa)

Frequently Asked Questions About USMCA Professional (TN Visa)

A TN visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows qualified Canadian and Mexican citizens to work in the United States in certain professional occupations. This visa category was created as part of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), now succeeded by the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA).

Here are some answers to common questions about the TN Visa.

  • Yes. However, you will first have to file a separate TN petition to request the addition of each employer and you will not be authorized to work for any new employer without first having your request approved. This request can be made to either USCIS from within the U.S. or at the border (Canadians only) or at a consulate in Mexico.

  • No. An initial TN is valid for up to 3 years and can be extended for additional 3-year periods indefinitely.

  • No. Dependent spouses and unmarried minor children of TN employees are not authorized to
    accept employment in the U.S. However, TD status holders are permitted to attend school.